Rivers are common on hikes.
And hikes are always on our list!
So what do we do with a toddler near a dangerous body of water that she can’t go into?
Have a blast of course!
Here are a few of the ways we enjoy rocky beaches without diving in:
- Throw rocks into the river
- Setting up house – the rocks outline the rooms, and can even be people if your house isn’t big enough for you to be the “people”
- Making pictures with different color rocks Mosaic style
- Collect the rocks for jewelry
- Dig thru the rocks to find pooled water and see if you can fill up a hole with water about the size of a bathroom sink – then use it to wash rocks
- Draw with rocks – darker rocks leave markings on lighter rocks
- Set up a balance course, stepping on rocks and not falling off
- Build a fire pit, most rivers have enough kindling nearby to get a tiny flame going
- Break rocks, using bigger ones to smash smaller ones (the smashed ones make great drawing rocks)
- Build rock towers
That’s a lot of fun!
Do you have other ways to have fun on rocky beaches?